The cat is out of the bag! (Or should it be the chicken?) Either way, I am so excited to share my Grandma’s Secret Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipe with you today! One of her most requested recipes, this simple, versatile chicken salad is perfect for every brunch, lunch, shower and potluck!
One of my favorite things about this blog is being able to record our family recipes.
My father-in-law’s rock star recipe for Roasted Turkey Breast.
My grandma’s Strawberry Shortcake is legendary in our family. I kid you not. These empty bowls from my recent trip to Ohio don’t lie. (This was just round 1!)
So, her chicken salad recipe – with a surprising ingredient that has changed my chicken salad world forever – is most definitely a keeper.
Grandma’s Secret Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipe
Lots of tender cooked chicken.
Crisp diced apples.
All stirred in a creamy combination of slightly tangy sour cream, rich mayo and … Cool Whip!!
There you have it. Cool Whip. Crazy, right?
I was understandably skeptical when I jotted down her chicken salad recipe.
But after my aunt and cousins returned from a bridal shower where everyone RAVED about this chicken salad (and everyone else wanted to know if there were any leftovers), I knew I had to give it a try.
- 3 cups cooked chicken (diced)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced apples or grapes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, apples and pecans.
- Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream and Cool Whip and combine well.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and stir again.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve over lettuce, with crackers or on croissants.
The additional of the Cool Whip keeps the chicken salad moist and the creamy mixture bright and white. But don’t worry … the Cool Whip does not make this chicken salad overly sweet. I am not really a mega fan of sweet flavors + meat and I ate this for 5 days in a row for lunch.
I love this recipe because it so versatile! Switch it up to include your favorite flavors:
- Sub in halved grapes if that is what you have in your fridge.
- Toasted almonds would be a great replacement for the pecans.
- And if you like onions in your chicken salad, throw some in.
But whatever you do … don’t skip the Cool Whip!
Serve it with crackers, on a croissant or even over a lettuce leaf or salad if carbs aren’t really your thing.
But if carbs are your thing? A buttery croissant piled high with my Grandma’s Secret Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipe? Is pretty fantastic.
More recipes from my grandma’s kitchen!