Creamy cucumber salad is a summer classic made with tangy sour cream, white vinegar, and dill. It is the perfect summer side dish, great for potlucks and barbecues. Serve it with grilled grouper and grilled corn on the cob for the perfect summer meal!
I love a good chilled side dish for hot summer days, and this creamy salad takes me right back to my grandma's kitchen as a kid. The combination of cool, fresh cucumbers mix with the creamy sour cream, white vinegar, and dill make this the perfect side dish for a wide variety of meals.
- cucumbers - firm English cucumbers or seedless cucumbers are best but you can use regular cucumbers as well
- sour cream - I recommend full-fat sour cream
- white vinegar
- dried dill
- salt and black pepper
Step by step
- Slice cucumbers into thin rounds using a sharp knife.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, vinegar, dill and salt & pepper.
- Add sliced cucumbers to the sour cream dressing and stir to coat.
- Chill salad at least 1 hour.
Tip: English cucumbers are more firm with less seeds than fresh garden cucumbers. If you are not using English cucumbers, use a paper towel to blot excess water from the sliced cucumbers to prevent the salad from turning out runny.
Variations and add-ins
- substitute lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or champagne vinegar for the white vinegar
- omit the dill if you are not a fan
- add diced red onion or white onion, I do not recommend using yellow onions in this recipe. If using white onions, soak the onion slices in cold water for a few minutes to reduce the "bite" and blot dry before adding to the recipe
- add a bit of flavor with garlic powder or paprika to enhance the flavor to your taste
Yes you can use 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill in place of the dried dill in this recipe.
You can substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream but it will affect the final taste a bit. I recommend full-fat for either. If you use a reduced fat Greek yogurt you may need to add a little olive oil to the dressing to replace the fat.
You can use Mayonnaise or a ½ and ½ sour cream and mayonnaise mixture.
This creamy cucumber salad recipe is a delicious side dish, perfect alongside other summer staples like potato salad, corn and avocado salsa, macaroni or pasta salad as sides to accompany your summer bbq, steaks, burgers, hot dogs, pork chops, or generally any protein.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Creamy Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: side
- Method: none
- Cuisine: American
Creamy cucumber salad is a summer classic made with tangy sour cream, white vinegar, and dill. It is the perfect summer side dish, great for potlucks and barbecues.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 4 oz. light sour cream
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sliced the cucumbers into thin rounds using a sharp knife.
- In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, vinegar, and dill.
- Add cucumber slices and stir to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill salad at least 1 hour.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Keywords: creamy cucumber salad
Diana Rambles says
Ooh -- this looks s delicious and simple, which is always a good combination. Does it keep well for a couple of days or is it something best eaten within a day?