Grilling season is here and there is no better grouper recipe for grilling than this Key Lime Butter Grilled Grouper. This easy grilled grouper recipe is both healthy, delicious, and ready in less than 15 minutes, making it a summer must!
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Butter
Grilling grouper is easy! If you have never grilled fish before you’ll be surprised how amazing it turns out. The fish grills quickly with a gentle smoky flavor and seared outside.
What Does Grilled Grouper Taste Like?
Grilled grouper is a firm, white flaky fish that has a mild flavor. It tastes similar to bass or halibut. It is not a “fishy fish” and appeals to many people who don’t like other types of fish.
How to Pick Fresh Grouper
- The first rule of thumb when choosing freshh grouper at the market is to smell it. If it smells fishy, don’t choose it!
- Fresh grouper should be moist and firm and spring back when you press it down with your finger.
- Do not choose grouper with frost or ice crystals on it.
- If you cannot find suitable fresh grouper, check the frozen section of your grocery store.
How to Cook Grouper
Since the grouper fillets are not as delicate as some other types of fish, it will stand up to grilling, frying, steaming and baking. If it’s not grilling weather you can also make this Key lime butter grilled grouper on a stovetop grill pan!
The key to this grilled grouper recipe is incorporating delicious lime butter flavor while grilling. Softened butter is combined with lime juice and lime zest then rubbed into the grouper before grilling.
The grill gives the grouper a nice crispy sear thanks to that Key lime butter, but the inside of the grouper is perfectly cooked and light and flaky.
What to Serve with Grilled Grouper
I like to pair grouper with light, fresh sides such as fresh vegetables, salad, or a light and fluffy rice pilaf. I also like to serve this Lime Butter Grouper with a bit of pico de gallo to play upon the lime flavoring!
Tried this recipe? Please comment and rate it below!Print
Grilling season is here and there is no better grouper recipe for grilling than this Key Lime Butter Grilled Grouper. This easy grilled grouper recipe is both healthy and delicious, making it a summer must!
- 1 1/2 pounds of grouper fillets
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 2–3 tablespoons lime juice
- zest of one lime
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a grill on medium to medium high heat.
- Stir the zest and juice of one key lime into the softened butter.
- Brush Key lime butter on each grouper fillet and season with salt & pepper.
- Place fillets on the grill and cook approximately 6 minutes per side. When cooked the fish will become opaque and flaky.
- Once the fillets are cooked through, place on serving dish and brush with any remaining butter.
- Serve with additional lime wedges or pico de gallo if desired.
Keywords: grilled grouper
This recipe was originally published in November 2013 and updated August 2019 with new photos and additional information.