This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Old Fashioned Cinnamon Apple Cake with Crackle Glaze is tender, studded with apples and walnuts, and is topped with the most delicious cinnamon glaze!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Needless to say, she is my foodie inspiration! This Cinnamon Apple Cake is straight out of her recipe box, so you know it’s good!
This is one of the few ‘from scratch’ cakes here at Shaken Together. If I don’t default to a box mix, then you know that this is a treasured, tried and true recipe.
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- walnut pieces
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
Step by step
- Cream together the sugars, egg, and oil until blended then add in dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in walnuts and diced apples.
- Bake the cake.
- Before it is finished combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until thickened.
- Pour glaze over warm cake allow t o cool before serving.
Just look at this apple and walnut studded batter … you can see the rich brown flecks of cinnamon and loads and loads of fruit and nuts. This has holiday baking written allllll over it!
This cake bakes up all golden brown with nooks and crannies for the cinnamon crackle glaze to settle into …
You heard that right. This cake does not get all dolled up with a thick frosting. Nope. There is a simple cook-and-pour cinnamon glaze that gets poured right over the warm cake. Oh, this is my favorite part!
Once cooled, that glaze is going to crackle the second your fork hits it …
If you can wait for it to cool, that is. That’s probably my least favorite part 😉
Trust me when I say that one piece of Grandma’s Cinnamon Apple Cake will not be enough. And vanilla (or even butter pecan) ice cream is highly recommended!
Tips for best results
- Chose a firm baking apple such as Granny Smith, Jonathan or Jonagold, Cortland, Braeburn, or Honeycrisp.
- For a finer texture, the apples can be shredded instead of diced.
- Because the cake and glaze have similar ingredients, measure the ingredients for the glaze right into your saucepan as you measure them for the cake.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to three days.
- To freeze this Apple Cinnamon Cake, wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in a freezer-safe container up to three months. Thaw overnight on the counter.
You can leave out the nuts if you prefer, the cake will still taste amazing!
I highly recommend unsalted butter for the glaze as salted butter will alter the final taste.
I wash my apples well and leave the peel on but you can peel the apples first if you prefer.
This cake tastes great even if made a day or two ahead. After the glaze cools, wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold or allow to come to room temperature for an hour or two before serving.
You might also like these apple recipes:
- Apple Pie Dump Cake
- Apple Crisp Granola
- Caramel Apple Cobbler Cake
- Cinnamon Apple Muffins
- Southern Pig Pickin’ Cake
If you try this Apple Cinnamon Cake recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
My Grandma’s Apple Cake with Cinnamon Crackle Glaze is tender, studded with fruit and nuts and is topped with the most delicious cinnamon glaze!
For the cake:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 1/2 cups apples (diced)
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla extract
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- With a hand mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together sugars, eggs and oil until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour the batter into baking pan. (It will be thick with the apples and nuts very visible.)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the glaze
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir or whisk together all ingredients.
- Allow glaze to thicken slightly – stirring frequently – and pour it over the warm cake.
- Use a spatula to quickly and gently, spread the glaze over the surface of the cake.
- Allow cake to cool, then slice and serve.
A quick tip: Since the cake and glaze have similar ingredients, measure the ingredients for the glaze right into your saucepan as you measure them for the cake.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 505
- Sugar: 26.2 g
- Sodium: 146.3 mg
- Fat: 34.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.4 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 62.4 mg
Keywords: apple cake, cinnamon glaze
This recipe was originally published in December 2016 and updated with additional information September 2019.