The very BEST brownies from scratch! The batter is full of melted chocolate and these brownies bake up with a soft chewy center and a crispy, crackly top! Your family will love this classic chocolate brownie recipe!
If you open my grandma's recipe box, tucked between the recipe for Grandma's Apple Cake and her recipe for Hawaiian Rice Pudding, is a chocolate smudged, well-worn recipe for these brownies. These are the very same brownies that my mom and her five siblings made when they were growing up. They are the very same brownies that I make when I need a little taste of home.
I love sharing my family's tried and true recipes. You know ... the ones that have been made a hundred times. The sweets that we can't wait to nibble even if they're still a little too warm from the oven. The familiar taste that takes me right back to my grandma's kitchen in small town Ohio.
These are the recipes that I hope my boys make with their families one day. And then these brownies from scratch will be known as Great Great Grandma's Wonderful Brownies 🙂
Why I love this recipe
These from scratch brownies aren't fancy. They don't have a filling or a swirl or any frosting. No nuts. No chips. Just a classic, chocolatey brownie that are made with basic supplies from your pantry. I even bake these in disposable 8x8 pans so I can keep one pan at home and give a pan of brownies away!
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsweetened chocolate
- vanilla extract
Step by step
- Preheat oven and prep pans.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix, followed by melted chocolate and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients and add to mixer. Beat until just combined.
- Pour into pans and bake 30 minutes.
Here are some of the tools and ingredients that I use for Grandma's Wonderful Brownies!
**This list contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking through, Shaken Together may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for helping me keep the kitchen stocked and free recipes and entertaining ideas coming your way!
- Flour Sifter - I LOVE this pretty blue one - or a whisk to blend the dry ingredients together
- Unsweetened Chocolate - I found this in the baking aisle but you can also grab it on Amazon if you don't want to make a special trip
- 8x8 Disposable baking pans
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
With a rich chocolatey center and a crispy crackly top, my Grandma's Wonderful Brownies are truly the BEST brownies from scratch!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) (softened)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare two 8x8 pans with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla extract to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Split batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the brownies is crackled and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies is clean when removed.
- Allow brownies to cool and cut each pan into 16 squares.