Tender apples, warm apple pie spice and a buttery cake mix topping make this Fall flavored treat a fast favorite. With just 4 ingredients from your pantry and fridge, this is the Easiest Apple Pie Dump Cake recipe!
You know I love a classic from-scratch dessert. (Grandma's Apple Cake with Cinnamon Crackle Glaze, I'm looking at you with all of the heart eye emojis 😍.) BUT. If you are looking for a crowd pleasing dessert with minimal prep time and BIG Fall flavor, then look no further than this shortcut apple pie filling dump cake!
This dump cake could not get any easier and starts with a few simple ingredients from your pantry and fridge:
- apple pie filling - already spiced and tender, use a 20 ounce can
- yellow cake mix - you can use butter, white, or even spice cake mix if you don't have yellow
- apple pie spice - substitute cinnamon or even pumpkin pie spice if you don't have apple pie spice
- butter - I prefer unsalted butter for baking but if you only have salted butter it will work fine
Step by step
- Spoon the apple pie filling into the dish.
- Mix together apple pie spice and yellow cake mix.
- Sprinkle the cake mix in an even layer over the apple pie filling.
- Pour melted butter over the cake mix, making sure to cover as much as you can.
- Bake for 40 minutes and serve warm!
Tips for best results
- Make sure you cover the top of the cake mix as completely as possible with the melted butter. I use the back of a spoon to push the melted butter over any dry spots. You can also add extra pats of butter to the dry areas so they melt as the dump cake bakes.
- Check the topping at the 30 minute mark for doneness, you want it golden brown and cooked through. It should be crisp, not goopy.
- Double this recipe for a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- add in chopped walnuts
- use different cake mix: spice, butter, white
- add caramel morsels to the apple pie filling
- add peanut butter chips to the pie filling
- serve warm with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- drizzle with caramel sauce
You certainly can opt for fresh apples instead of the apple pie filling if you choose. The final result won't be exactly the same but it will be delicious nonetheless. Use 3 medium finely chopped apples tossed with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in place of the apple pie filling.
You can keep leftovers at room temperature for a day or so but they will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Either way, keep in an airtight container or wrap with plastic wrap.
Yes! Allow to cool complete then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. It will keep up to three months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or oven.
Yes, you can experiment and make dump cake with cherry, peach, strawberry, or blueberry pie fillings. (Those are the varieties my grocery store carries but if yours has others, bake away!)
I tend to opt for yellow cake mix or butter cake mix for my dump cakes but you can really get creative with the flavors. The essential recipe is the same but if you opt for something like a spice cake I would leave out the apple pie spice.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you.Print
Tender apples, warm apple pie spice and a buttery cake mix topping make this Fall flavored dessert a fast favorite! With just 4 ingredients from your pantry and fridge, this is the Easiest Apple Pie Dump Cake recipe!
- 20 ounce can of apple pie filling
- 15 oz box yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 9 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the apple pie filling in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry yellow cake mix and 1 teaspoon of the apple pie spice. Use the whisk to break up any large clumps of cake mix.
- Spread the dry cake mixture over the apple pie filling in an even layer.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix and use the back of a spoon to move the butter to try to get most of the dry cake mix covered.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake mix topping is lightly browned and baked through.
Keywords: apple dump cake