Serious chocoholic? Then grab a fork and say your prayers because you will have to make this dark, rich, super chocolatey Death by Chocolate Poke Cake!
Have the kids in your neck of woods gone back to school yet? We have been back at it for a few weeks and man, school is exhausting! So, after particularly trying days, I’ll rifle through and pick one of the delicious recipes from my recipe box in my mind for a sweet little pick me up!
We are determined that we will not fall to 6th and 9th grade! I cannot, however, guarantee that we will not fall to chocolate!
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
If this cake can’t perk us right up after a long day of quadratic equations and make me forget all about signing syllabuses and washing uniforms, I don’t know what will!
The Ultimate Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
So, what makes this cake a nearly lethal combination of all things chocolate?
- Rich chocolate cake.
- With chocolate chips.
- And chocolate pudding.
- And chocolate syrup.
- And fluffy chocolate topping.
- Topped with chocolate shavings.
Don’t let that sweet exterior fool you. This cake may start with a basic chocolate cake mix but it sure doesn’t finish as one. I have amped up the richness and texture with sour cream and chocolate chips and a box of chocolate pudding.
Should I apologize that my love language includes chocolate pudding?
Nah, I didn’t think so.
You may have noticed that this cake does not have a traditional butter cream frosting. (Would you believe that I am not a frosting girl. Can we still be friends?) Since this cake is so dense and rich, the light, fluffy chocolate topping is perfect to balance that out. This is my go-to cake and cupcake topping and it is SO easy – it’s made with cold milk, Jell-O pudding mix and Cool Whip!
We think this cake is pretty much the perfect ending to any day (or beginning of any day, we don’t judge)! So, start by pouring yourself a big glass of milk or a cup of coffee and cut a piece of this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake. Then, hold on to your hats and glasses, because you are about to indulge in a divinely decadent dessert …
More delicious ways to end the day!
- Pumpkin Spice Company Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Triple Lemon Cupcakes
- Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- Triple Strawberry Cupcakes
Grab a fork and say your prayers because this rich, super chocolately Death by Chocolate poke cake is worth every bite!
For the Cake
- One 16.5 oz Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- One 5.9 oz. box Jell-O chocolate instant pudding & pie filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz. chocolate syrup (in a can)
For the Chocolate Topping
- 1 cup cold milk
- One 3.9 oz. Jell-O chocolate fudge instant pudding & pie filling
- One 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip topping (thawed)
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350* and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix together all ingredients except the chocolate syrup.
- Pour chocolate cake batter in pan and spread into an even layer. It will be thicker than a traditional cake batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center is baked through and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, using the handle of a wooden spoon (or a skewer or drinking straw), poke holes over the surface of the cake.
- Pour the chocolate syrup over the top of the warm cake, getting as much in the holes as possible.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Topping
- Using a hand mixer, mix together the milk and pudding mix.
- On the lowest speed, add the Cool Whip, mixing just until combined.
- Spread over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate cake until serving.
- Add chocolate shavings or sprinkles if desired.
Keywords: chocolate poke cake