Ripe berries, donut holes, thick cut bacon and cheese are the stars of these sweet and savory Berry Brunch Kabobs! Aren't they perfect for Mothers' Day brunch or a morning with the girls?! Serve alongside Sheet Pan Eggs and Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole to feed a crowd.
Oh brunch, how I heart thee! Says the girl who sometimes eats salad for breakfast. #truestory But brunch! Sweet brunch! A little breakfast, a little lunch ... it's pretty much my favorite meal! So, you better believe I love these Berry Brunch Kabobs big time with their beautifully ripe sweet berries, a salty hunk of cheese, the glorious two bites of a sweet soft donut hole and than a big bang of bacon. Swoon. For real.
Berry Brunch Kabobs
I love brunch and I also love kabobs. Everything is bite sized. Ready to munch. Easy to serve. Easy to eat. No forks required!
How to Make Berry Brunch Kabobs
There are a few details that really make these Berry Brunch Kabobs a little more fun than just some food on a stick.
1. The thick cut bacon. Now, you can use regular bacon if it is what you've got. But, the thick cut bacon makes for a nice meaty bite right in the middle of these kabobs. And? BACON.
2. The cheese. Again, you can use whatever you have, but a nice sharp cheddar packs that salty punch that is the perfect complement to the sweet donut hole and strawberry. Even better, cut the cheese into slices and use a mini cookie cutter to cut them into a flower shape. Cute, right?!
3. The berries. Ripe, deep red strawberries are the perfect first bite for these sweet and savory Berry Brunch Kabobs. I think that the strawberries cut in half look like little hearts. Which is kind of perfect since I am serving these for Mothers' Day with my momma.
If you saw my Lemon Cream Cheese Frosted Cookies with Blackberries or the Simple Strawberry Balsamic Salad I've shared recently, you know my love for Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ produce containers! They really are a game changer for your fruits and veggies - especially berries like the ones I used for this recipe.
I even decided to try a little experiment for you. I put one container of strawberries in my Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ Produce Saver and left one container of berries in the store packaging. I tucked both in my fridge and waited one week. Then, I pulled them out and took pictures.
The berries in the store packaging (on the left in my pictures) were softer and squishier, the leaves were dry and crispy and the berries were starting to shrivel up making the seeds more pronounced. Aside from a few discolored leaves, the berries in my Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ Produce Saver were still plump, the leaves were still soft and pliable and the berries themselves were fab.
So, now that you know I love you enough to let gorgeous FL strawberries waste away in my fridge ;), let's get back to these easy peasy Berry Brunch Kabobs!
For each kabob, you will need half of a strawberry cut lengthwise, ½ a strip of thick cut bacon (cooked but not too crispy or it will crack when you thread it on the skewer), one cheese round and one donut hole.
I like using the cheese round as the bottom bite so everything can rest on the flat surface. Then, just layer a donut hole, fold the bacon and skewer it and top each kabob with a fresh ripe strawberry half.
Now, as per my usual protocol, my favorite taste testers (aka my 3 guys) put these to the test. And loved every bite!! And since these have my favorite four food groups - Seriously, how do bacon and donuts not have their own food group yet? - you really can't go wrong with these Berry Brunch Kabobs!
I think these would be pretty perfect for Mother's Day brunch, a great nibble to serve alongside mimosas with the girls or even tucked into the kiddos' lunchboxes! Or my lunch box for that matter. #makeyourcoworkersjealous 😉
Now that I'm hungry for brunch, here are a few more of my favorite recipes that are perfect for brunch!
- Easy Pecan Cinnamon Roll Biscuits
- Bacon Mushroom Egg Bakes
- Pull Apart Raspberry Sweet Rolls
- Everything Bagel Overnight Breakfast Casserole
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Berry Brunch Kabobs – Super Easy Brunch Idea!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 kabobs 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: none
- Cuisine: American
Ripe berries, donut holes, thick cut bacon and cheese are the stars of these sweet and savory Berry Brunch Kabobs! Aren't they perfect for Mothers' Day brunch or a morning with the girls?!
For 12 Berry Brunch Kabob
- 6 strawberries (cut lengthwise from top to bottom)
- 12 cheese rounds (see notes)
- 12 donut holes
- 6 strips of thick cut bacon (cut in ½ to make 12 pieces)
- 12 six inch bamboo skewers
Assemble each kabob
- Slide a cheese round down the skewer leaving enough room to hold the kabob easily.
- Add a donut hole and let it rest on the cheese round.
- Thread a slice of cooked bacon onto the skewer.
- Finally, add the strawberry half on top of the bacon.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*To make the decorative cheese rounds: Cut ½ inch thick slices from a block of cheddar cheese. If you are using a cookie cutter (I used a flower) to create a decorative shape, make sure the slice is wide enough to fit the entire cutter. Then, press the cookie cutter through the cheese slice to create a flower shaped cheese round. Use the cheese scraps to nibble, top nachos or add to a salad.
Keywords: brunch kabob
Leave a Reply