Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And I think it deserves so much more than cereal tossed in a bowl and drenched in milk. But who is going to haul out the skillets, toaster, baking sheets and 20 ingredients before the first cup of coffee has kicked in on a school day? Not even this early riser! But I will prep this ridiculously delicious breakfast casserole the night before and pull off a gold medal breakfast!
Easy, Cheesy Everything Bagel Overnight Breakfast Casserole!!
That’s right … you can make this overnight breakfast casserole the day before you are going to wow your family and friends. For this recipe, instead of using sliced bread to soak up the eggs, I chopped up everything bagels. I love the little boost of flavor that you get from the onions, garlic, sesame seeds and salt on the bagels. Then, I poured a seasoned egg mixture over them, added chopped bacon AND cheddar cheese and popped it in the fridge so everyone could get to know each other a little better.
In the morning, I popped it in the oven and waited for my sleepy heads to wander down the hallway, following their noses … this thing smells awesome as it bakes!!
Everything bagels are the stars in this Easy, Cheesy Everything Bagel Overnight Breakfast Casserole!
- 4 Everything Bagels (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 9 slices bacon (cooked crisp and chopped)
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1–2 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Spread chopped bagels across the bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle bacon pieces over the bagel pieces.
- Pour egg mixture over bagels and bacon.
- Sprinkle on cheese.
- If preparing the night before, cover the dish and refrigerate.
- If preparing the same day, allow egg mixture to mostly absorb into the bagel pieces (about 2 hours).
- Bake for about 40 minutes. The eggs should be cooked through and the cheese melted.
The best thing about casseroles – even breakfast casseroles – is that you can tweak them to fit whatever you might have in your pantry and fridge!
- Use asiago cheese bagels instead of everything bagels.
- How about browned breakfast sausage or cubed ham instead of bacon?
- Replace the bacon with sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers for a vegetarian version.
- Add some hot sauce and pepper jack cheese for a little heat.
With the holidays right around the corner, this overnight breakfast casserole is perfect to feed a crowd! You can serve it at a Fall brunch or even prep it for Christmas morning breakfast!
Rise & Shine! It’s Breakfast Time!!
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Waffles
- Bacon Mushroom Cheddar Egg Bakes
- Pecan Cinnamon Roll Biscuits
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
This post may be shared here: