I have finally just given in. I am a slow cooker meal girl for life. There is something so freeing to pop a few ingredients in my slow cooker, slap on the lid and have lunch or dinner or even a fabulous appetizer ready to go just a few hours later. And since I am sharing Cinco de Mayo recipes this week, this flavorful, tender Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken just had to go on the menu!
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
How to Make Mexican Chicken in the Crock Pot
There is no secret ingredient to this dish – well, maybe a few pats of butter to keep the chicken moist. It is just a good ol’ easy staple that is perfect for tacos, nacho, enchiladas, burritos and salads. As I mentioned, the butter keeps the chicken moist, the taco seasoning provides flavor without being overwhelming and the tomatoes and chiles help season and tenderize the chicken.
Just dump everything in your crock pot, let it cook for about 4 hours on high and then open up the lid to this …
The chicken should easily shred with two forks. I always return the shredded chicken to the cooking liquid to keep it moist and pick up a little more flavor before I pile it in a bowl for lunch or dinner or allow it to cool slightly and pop it in the fridge. This slow cooker shredded chicken is a great make ahead meal! It reheats beautifully and makes awesome leftovers (if there are any leftovers!). It’s fun to serve in crispy wonton cups as an appetizer as well.
Easily double this recipe for a pot luck or party – just make sure to extend the cooking time so all of the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken would make a delicious addition to a taco or nacho bar!
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
- Lime Salt
- Sweet & Smoky Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- Cheesy Baked Black Beans & Rice
- Churro Crisps & Hot Fudge Sauce
This flavorful, tender Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is an easy make ahead meal perfect for tacos, nachos and salads! Easily doubles for a crowd, too!
- 2 lbs boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 can Rotel (mild or hot to your family’s taste)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning.
- Spread Rotel over the seasoned chicken breasts.
- Cut each tablespoon of butter into a few pieces and place on top of the chicken.
- Turn slow cooker on high and cook for 4-5 hours or until the chicken shreds easily with two forks.
- Allow shredded chicken to simmer in the cooking liquid until serving.
Keywords: shredded mexican chicken