This ooey gooey cheesy pan of crispy, chili drenched tater tots is the perfect game day comfort food … Sheet Pan Chili Cheese Tater Tots!
Some of our best Sunday afternoons are spent together in our living room with football on the tv and a big spread of “football food” to nibble on. Whether it is these bacon wrapped jalapeño popper halves, chicken & waffle bowls, ham & cheese roll ups or just classic chips and salsa, the appetizer spread is a big part of our family football tradition. And while I may be tucked into my favorite chair perusing Pinterest instead of actually watching the game, at least my food game is strong 😉
Sheet Pan Chili Cheese Tater Tots
I’m sure chili cheese tater tots are not any huge food revelation. They are a pretty simple combination of tater tots + chili + cheese, but I’ve got a few tips to make them extra tasty and completely satisfying.
ONE: Use a sheet pan. While this may seem obvious, using one sheet pan keeps prep and clean up easy breezy. Bake the tater tots, heat the chili and melt the cheese all on one simple baking sheet.
TWO: EXTRA crispy tater tots. Since the tots will be smothered in chili and cheese, the outside needs to be really crunchy and crispy to prevent them from getting totally soggy too soon.
THREE: Freshly shredded/grated cheese is a must. You can use bagged shredded cheese (and I do for tons of recipes in my kitchen), but to get that really creamy, melty cheese, just take a minute or two and grate it yourself. Sharp cheddar gives that robust cheesy flavor and melts like a dream with the heat of the oven.
See that cheese pull?! Touchdown!
While I just used our favorite canned chili to smother these tater tots, you could use leftover chili from last night’s dinner, grab a bowl from your local deli/grocery store or really amp this recipe up with my Aunt Lori’s Famous Chili Cheese Dip. These chili cheese tater tots are delicious straight from the oven, but you can snag the title of appetizer MVP when you load them up with some of your favorite toppings: sour cream, green onions, crunchy french fried onions, sliced jalapeños, fresh diced tomatoes, crumbled bacon, leftover pulled pork or even a drizzle of BBQ sauce!
This easy cheesy appetizer is one pan of ooey gooey chili cheese comfort food goodness – Sheet Pan Chili Cheese Tater Tots are a touchdown for your game day spread!
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- 1 15 oz can of your favorite chili
- 1 ½ cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- toppings of your choice (optional)
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the tater tots according to package instructions but bake them a bit longer to make sure they are EXTRA crispy.
- Spoon the chili over the baked tater tots and return the pan to the oven to heat while you grate the cheese.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the tater tots and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite toppings: sour cream, green onions, crunchy french fried onions, a drizzle of BBQ sauce, crumbled bacon, etc.
Don’t forget to add this easy appetizer recipe for Sheet Pan Chili Cheese Tater Tots to your appetizer, snack or game day Pinterest board!