Sick of sandwiches? Need an easy party appetizer? Our Ham & Cheese Roll Ups are way more fun than a sandwich and you will love all those flavorful layers rolled inside a soft, flour tortilla roll up! Perfect for lunch boxes and parties alike!
Ham & Cheese Roll Ups
Ever see a photo of something that you see again and you're like, "OH YEAH! I forgot about that!" This is one of those moments in recipe form. My boys go for months with PB&J tucked in their lunches. And then! I remember these roll ups. (Normally because we have tortillas leftover from taco Tuesday.) They are so easy to make and you can use whatever meat and cheese combo you have in your fridge!
These are as easy as you can imagine, but I do have a few tips to make assembling and slicing them even easier!
Tips for Making Ham & Cheese Pinwheels
- Start with soft flour tortillas. Corn tortillas aren't quite supple enough to roll. And if your flour tortillas are past their prime, they may crack as you make the roll ups. So, nice, soft, flexible tortillas - check!
- Now, let's talk flavored cream cheese. We use the chive & onion flavor, but veggie cream cheese or salsa flavored cream cheese would be delicious, too. The cream cheese is the "glue" for these roll ups, so I wouldn't skip it.
- Up next? The meat and cheese. Turkey and cheddar, roast beef and Swiss or ham and provolone ... whatever meat and cheese combo you go with, I prefer it sliced thinner. Again, it makes them a little easier to roll up.
The Trick to Perfect Ham and Cheese Roll Ups
The trick to making these tortilla roll ups easy to ... well ... roll up? Rather than trying to layer everything evenly over the entire surface of the tortilla, layer the meat and cheese on one side of the tortilla! You still get every ingredient in every bite 🙂
You can add lettuce, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, black olives - whatever little extras make you happy - on top of the meat and cheese. We went with some basic spring mix in our Ham & Cheese Roll Ups.
The final step? Roll them up! Start with the meat/cheese edge and roll the tortilla tightly. Wrap each roll up in plastic wrap.
How to Neatly Slice Ham and Cheese Roll Ups
Allow the roll ups to chill in the fridge for at least an hour. This helps the cream cheese 'glue' hold everything together and makes the roll ups easier to slice.
Speaking of slicing them, a serrated bread knife is my go-to to use to slice the Ham & Cheese Rolls Ups.
Look at all those yummy layers rolled up in every bite!
More Ways to Mix Up Lunch!
- Kid Approved Pasta Salad Lunch
- Whole Wheat Pita Caprese Snacks
- Pepperoni Chicken Bites with Creamy Italian Dipping Sauce
If you like this recipe, please comment and rate it below!Print
Sick of sandwiches? Need an easy party appetizer? Our Ham & Cheese Roll Ups are way more fun than a sandwich and you will love all those flavorful layers rolled inside a soft, flour tortilla! Perfect for lunch boxes and parties alike!
- Deli ham (sliced thin)
- Provolone cheese (sliced thin)
- Chive & Onion cream cheese
- Shredded lettuce or Spring mix
- Spread each tortilla with a layer of cream cheese - cover the entire tortilla as the cream cheese will serve as the 'glue' to hold the rolls ups together.
- Layer ham and cheese on one side of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle shredded lettuce/Spring mix on top of the meat and cheese.
- Starting with the meat/cheese edge of the tortilla and roll it tightly.
- Wrap each roll up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Unwrap each roll and use a serrated knife to cut one inch slices.
- Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer or pack it up for lunches!
*Use whatever meat and cheese combination you have in your fridge: ham/provolone, roast beef/Swiss, turkey/cheddar.
*Add your favorite 'extras' like olives, roasted red peppers, pickles and banana peppers to your roll ups if you would like.
Keywords: ham and cheese roll ups
Seriously awesome for lunches.
Seriously gone at parties.