With crispy skin and velvety insides, these classic Crispy Roasted Potatoes are the perfect easy side dish to serve with steak, chicken, burgers or even tossed on top of a salad!
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
This recipe for Crispy Roasted Potatoes is a staple in our house. Potatoes are inexpensive and they have a pretty long shelf life. I always have olive oil, salt and pepper on hand, too, so I never have to run to the store for an ingredient. Roasted potatoes are easy to make for a family of four or a houseful of guests. And can you really ever go wrong with a beautifully roasted, perfectly seasoned potato? I don’t think so either.
I found a bag of Gemstone Potatoes (such a fun name!) at our local grocery store that had baby purple, red and gold potatoes, but feel free to use your favorite potato for this recipe.
Give your potatoes a good wash to remove any dirt or debris and then cut them into bite size pieces. Season with olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Tips for Roasting Potatoes
First, coat all surfaces of the potato pieces with olive oil. This makes for a crispy skin and gives the salt and pepper something to cling to. But it also gives the surface of the potato that is touching the pan a little fat to create that golden brown color.
I’ll call the next tip ‘surface area’. I like to cut my potatoes lengthwise so there is more area of the cut potato touching the pan. Again, I love that crispy golden brown roasted surface.
Finally, I like to roast vegetables at a fairly high heat. When these potatoes bake at 400 degrees F, the outside crisps up which keeps the inside of the potato soft and fluffy.
How to Season Roasted Gemstone Potatoes
For this classic recipe, I went with just salt and pepper to season the potatoes. That is not where the flavors of these roasted potatoes stop, however. Here are few of my favorite seasonings to use for crispy roasted potatoes:
- Montreal steak seasoning – delicious alongside grilled burgers
- Lemon pepper seasoning – the perfect partner for baked chicken
- Italian seasoning – pair with steak
- Dill & onion powder – toss a handful on a salad
- Paprika – serve with your favorite breakfast items
Don’t underestimate the popularity of the humble potato. These pretty little potatoes always disappear from our plates and there are rarely any leftovers! THAT is the sign of a successful side dish, right?! 😉
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
A classic family favorite, our Crispy Roasted Potatoes are delicious alongside steak, chicken, burgers or even on top of a salad!
- 1 ½ lbs. Gemstone mixed baby potatoes (or 1 ½ lbs. of your favorite potatoes)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wash potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces. (See notes.)
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the surface of the potatoes on the baking sheet are golden brown and crispy.
I like to cut potatoes lengthwise to allow for more surface area touching the pan because that means more crispy, golden brown color and texture!
Keywords: roasted gemstone potatoes