When you can’t decide between cookies and cupcakes, you can have the best of both worlds with our Mini Cupcakes with Sugar Cookie Dough Frosting!
It’s true that our oldest son doesn’t like chocolate. I’ve finally come to terms with it. Embraced it, even! It means that I have had to get really creative with his birthday treats: a banana split bar, sugar cookie cakes, mac daddy rice krispie treats and ice cream cakes. This year, for his 17th birthday – sob! – I pulled out all the stops. Instead of using boring ol’ buttercream frosting, I topped mini yellow cupcakes with a glorious scoop of (egg-free) sugar cookie dough! Oh happy day!
Mini Sugar Cookie Dough Frosted Cupcakes
Yep, you heard that right. This sugar cookie dough is egg-free. Delightfully, “grab yourself a spoon and make it a big one” egg-free. “Oven? We don’t need no stinking oven” egg-free! Just imagine the possibilities! I’ve already made cookie dough bites and I wouldn’t be surprised if this cookie dough makes another appearance at some point. But for now, let’s talk cupcakes.
I used a yellow cake mix for the mini cupcakes. If you have a favorite from-scratch recipe, by all means, feel free to use it. A regular cake mix makes about 48 mini cupcakes, so get ready to exercise your will power. Once they are topped with this sugar cookie dough frosting …
Come to momma!
I have made standard-sized cupcakes topped with eggless sugar cookie dough before. Be warned, the bigger cupcakes are for the die hard, “eat a whole tube of cookie dough in one sitting” kinda people. (Those are my people!) But honestly … that is a whole lot of sweetness.
I find that mini cupcakes – those two-bite wonders – are the perfect size to hold a dollop of cookie dough frosting! Get yourself a 1 oz. cookie scoop. I use it to fill the mini foil baking cups and to add that mounded scoop of frosting to each cupcake.
Oh! And don’t forget the sprinkles! (Affiliate links)Print
When you can’t decide between cookies and cupcakes, you can have the best of both worlds with these crazy good Mini Sugar Cookie Dough Frosted Cupcakes!
- 48 mini cupcakes (we like vanilla, white or yellow cake, baked and cooled)
Sugar Cookie Dough Frosting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 3–4 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles (optional)
- With a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter, brown & granulated sugars and extracts.
- Mix in flour, salt and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of milk until the mixture is the consistency of cookie dough.
- Dough can be refrigerated for a few days prior to frosting the cupcakes.
To finish the cupcakes
- If the cookie dough frosting has been refrigerated, remove from refrigerator for a few minutes to make scooping the dough easier.
- Use a 1 oz. cookie scoop to add a scoop of cookie dough to the top of each cupcake.
- Garnish with sprinkles.
- If not serving right away, store cupcakes in refrigerator.
- This is a pretty flexible recipe, so you can use all brown sugar instead of the blend of granulated & brown sugars.
- If you prefer to ditch the almond extract, just replace it with more vanilla extract.
- I’ve also used half & half and even coffee creamer in place of milk in a pinch, so just go with what you’ve got on hand!
- Also, there may be a small risk with eating raw flour, so please consume at your own risk.
- Nutritional information is for 1 ounce of frosting (enough for one mini cupcake)
Keywords: sugar cookie dough Frosting
I mean, does it get better than cupcakes with sugar cookie dough frosting?!
I didn’t think so 😉