Thick slices of sturdy toasted bread slathered with peanut butter and topped with fresh smashed raspberries makes for a delicious twist on breakfast! Smashed Berry Breakfast Toast is a simple breakfast dish that will wake up your taste buds and brighten your morning!
I’m pretty sure that you can tell that is probably one of the simplest dishes I’ve shared here at Shaken Together. This breakfast isn’t rocket science and doesn’t involve any kitchen tools past a toaster and a butter knife. BUT don’t discount it yet! The combo of crunchy bread, warm melty peanut butter and fresh, tangy raspberries will perk your boring breakfast right up!
Smashed Berry Breakfast Toast
- Sturdy bread – I’ve used sourdough bread, English toasting bread and dense nutty/grainy bread
- Peanut butter – you can also use almond butter or your favorite nut butter
- Fresh raspberries or blackberries – I find these berries are the best for smashing right on the toast. (If you use strawberries or blueberries, then just smash them a bit in a small bowl first and then spoon them over the peanut butter.)
How to make Smashed Berry Breakfast Toast
First, toast the bread until it is deep golden brown. This is why a thick, sturdy bread is a good choice for this breakfast toast. If you prefer a lighter toast or if you are using standard white sandwich bread, you’ll probably want to cut the finished toast into smaller pieces so it doesn’t sag under the weight of the peanut butter and berries.
Then, add a generous slather of peanut butter or your favorite nut butter.
Finally, top the peanut butter with fresh berries and use a fork to gently mash the berries. This releases a bit of juice and allows the smashed berries to be spread a bit over the peanut butter.
The fresh berries provide such a fresh, tangy sweetness that gives way to nutty peanut butter and the satisfying crunch of toast.
You know how ‘they’ say that breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day? Well, I’m pretty sure this Smashed Berry Breakfast Toast is one of the reasons why 😉
Smashed Berry Breakfast Toast is as delicious and it is simple. The combo of crunchy bread, warm melty peanut butter and fresh, tangy raspberries will perk your boring breakfast right up!
- 2 slices sturdy bread for toasting
- peanut butter (or your preferred nut butter)
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Toast the bread until crunchy and golden brown.
- Slather peanut butter (or your preferred nut butter) over the toast.
- Immediately sprinkle 1/2 of the raspberries on each piece of toast and use a fork to gently smash the berries to release their juice.
- Sturdy bread like sourdough, English toasting bread and dense nutty bread hold up to the peanut butter and berries well, especially when toasted. If you prefer lightly toasted bread or use a white sandwich bread, just cut the toast so it doesn’t sag when you pick it up.
- Raspberries and blackberries work best to smash right on the toast. However, if you have blueberries or strawberries on hand, just cut them and smash them in a small bowl and then spoon the berry mixture over the toast.
More Deliciously Easy Breakfast Recipes!