This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Blue Plate Mayonnaise. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’m opening my family recipe box and sharing my absolute favorite salad that is paired with a simple, homemade sweet and tangy Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing!
I know I have waxed poetic about family recipes before. My grandma’s apple cake, strawberry shortcake and chicken salad recipes are legendary. My father in law’s turkey breast is classic and a staple at every Thanksgiving dinner. My mom’s baked beans are a hit at every single Summer pot luck. So rest assured, that if I am sharing a salad and giving it the lofty title of “my favorite”, then it holds a place in our family’s hall of fame!
My Favorite Salad & Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
This salad started with a trip home to Ohio to visit my family. My cousin (Hi Libbe!) made this salad for a pot luck. But it was SO good that we asked to her make it again for another family dinner and we gobbled up all of the leftovers the next day. And since we’re pals around here, I knew that I HAD to share it with you! So, what makes up this salad so good?
- Romaine lettuce
- Green apples
- Swiss cheese
Crisp crunchy lettuce, tart apples, nutty cheese and buttery cashews … the base of this salad hits all the high notes of textures and flavors. But the secret that really makes this salad sing is the sweet and tangy homemade Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing!
What is in Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing?
- Sour cream
- Apple cider vinegar
- Poppy Seeds
With just 6 ingredients in this dressing, it is important that each one be high quality. So, I use Blue Plate Mayonnaise.
Blue Plate Mayonnaise has been around since 1927. I love the simple, tried and true recipe of oil, vinegar and egg yolks that makes this mayonnaise rich and creamy. In fact, it is the creamy super star of this dressing that makes it drizzle so dreamily over lettuce, apples, cheese and nuts.
Blue Plate Mayonnaise has even been Voted #1 Mayonnaise by Epicurious! Those are some serious chops!
Since you are going to make this creamy poppy seed dressing again and again, and you’ll need stock up on Blue Plate Mayonnaise to do that, you can Find the product near you and then Find recipes using Blue Plate Mayonnaise here.
Now, back to my plan to make you and this salad BFFs.Print
Romaine lettuce, green apples, Swiss cheese and cashews are drenched in a dreamy drizzle of Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing for this simple statement salad!
For the Salad
- 2–3 hearts of romaine lettuce (coarsely chopped or ripped)
- 1–2 green apples (cored & cut into bite sized pieces)
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese (cubed)
- 1 1/3 cups cashew halves/pieces
For the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- To make the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, vinegar, sugar and poppy seeds. If you have time, refrigerate the dressing for at least 1/2 hour to allow the flavor to settle in.
- Just before serving, layer or toss together the lettuce, apples, Swiss cheese and cashews. I like to layer the ingredients in a big glass bowl and toss everything together just before serving.
- Drizzle the salad with the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing and enjoy!
The prepared dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
What else can you do with this Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing?
- Drizzle it over a fresh fruit salad
- Stir it into coleslaw
- Brush it onto chicken or veggies before grilling
- Add it to your favorite chicken salad recipe