Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole has all the same flavor as classic Chicken Cordon Bleu with much easier preparation! Shredded Chicken is baked under layers of diced ham, a creamy swiss cheese sauce, and crispy panko bread crumbs in this homey, comfort food dish. This Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake is an easy dinner recipe that your family will love!
I've really been on a mission to simplify our lives. I use a few hours of my weekend getting ready for the coming week: clothes washed, folded and put away, lunches prepped, and even a crock pot meal or two done on Sunday. That way, I can ease into the weekdays with a little peace of mind. And I need every bit of that with two teen boys 😉
So. What does that mean for you? Easy recipes with a handful of ingredients for your kitchen, too! Like this one delicious chicken cordon bleu casserole.
Why I love this recipe
I love Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Chicken stuffed or rolled with ham and swiss cheese, baked or fried until golden brown. But I just honestly don't have time at night to pound chicken, stuff it, bread it and bake it. So, I simplified the classic dish and decided to layer the ingredients in a baking dish.
The ham and cheese keep the chicken from drying out. The cheese helps the bread crumbs get crispy and toasty. This Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake is easy and tasty and always gets rave reviews.
The ingredient list may look on the longer side but most everything is a pantry staple. If you have chicken, ham, and swiss cheese you're probably ready to make this easy recipe.
- rotisserie chicken
- ham cubes
- unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- lemon juice
- dijon mustard
- garlic powder
- swiss cheese
- parmesan cheese
- panko bread crumbs
Step by step
- Preheat the oven and spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer rotisserie chicken in the bottom of the pan and top with ham cubes.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.
- Stir in mustard, lemon juice, and spices. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses. Stir until melted then pour over the chicken and ham.
- Mix melted butter with panko bread crumbs and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole has all the same flavor as classic Chicken Cordon Bleu with much easier preparation! Shredded Chicken is baked under layers of diced ham, a creamy swiss cheese sauce, and crispy panko bread crumbs in this homey, comfort food dish.
- 5 cups rotisserie chicken
- 2 cup diced ham cubes
- 4 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish withnon stick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Top with diced ham.
- In a small saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of butter, add in flour and whisk continuously for 1-2 minutes until uniform and there are no clumps.
- Add milk slowly while continuing to whisk. Stir in mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt. Continue to whisk as you simmer for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in shredded cheeses. Stir until melted, then pour cheese sauce over the chicken and ham.
- Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter with panko bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: chicken cordon bleu casserole