Lemon Bundt Cake is a light, moist pound cake perfect for any occasion. Packed with a sweet-tart flavor, it’s elegant enough for a party but easy enough for an everyday dessert!
Every year both my husband and my oldest son request lemon cake for their birthdays. It’s inspired me to try recipes like this Poke Cake and these Cake Mix Bars. This year I am making this Lemon Bundt Cake with delectable glaze!
Why I love this recipe
This cake is similar to a pound cake but less dense. It is moist and packed with flavor. The sweetness and tart of the lemon is the perfect combination!
I love that this cake is fancy enough for taking to a party but it’s easy enough to make as a simple dessert.
- baking soda
- lemon extract
- buttermilk (see below for an alternative to buttermilk)
- lemons to juice and zest
- powdered sugar
Step by step
Start making this cake by creaming together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add eggs in one at a time.
While it is mixing, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Add half of the dry mix to the butter and egg mixture. Then add the lemon juice, zest and buttermilk followed by the remaining flour mixture.
Pour the batter (it will be quite thick) into a bundt pan that has been sprayed generously with baking spray or greased and floured. Bake it for one hour and allow to cool before adding the glaze.
How to Make Lemon Glaze
The glaze for the cake is very easy to make. You’ll need milk, lemon juice, and powdered sugar.
Simply combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. You can adjust the thickness of the glaze by adding more or less powdered sugar.
How to Substitute Milk for Buttermilk
If you do not have buttermilk on hand you can make your own by combining one cup of regular milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir it vigorously then let it sit at least 5 minutes before adding it to the recipe. Easy-peasy!
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Lemon Bundt Cake is a light, moist pound cake perfect for any occasion. Packed with sweet-tart flavor, it’s elegant enough for a party but easy enough for an everyday dessert!
For the Cake:
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk OR 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- zest of one lemon
For the Glaze:
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it.
- In a mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda and stir to mix.
- Add half of flour mixture to mixer and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add buttermilk, lemon extract, and lemon zest, then remaining flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined, batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan and reduce oven heat to 325.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add one tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and stir to mix. Allow to sit 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- If you don’t have baking spray, grease the pan generously and coat with flour.
- Adjust thickness of the glaze by adding more or less powdered sugar.
- Recipe adapted from I am Baker
Keywords: lemon bundt cake