With a rich cream broth brimming with potatoes, carrots and savory sausage, my Grandma's Creamy Sausage & Potato Soup is simple, cozy comfort food at its best!
It's SOUP season! Are you just as excited as I am? Seriously, when there is a chill in the air, I immediately start adding every chowder, chili, soup and stew to our menu.
I love all soups but honestly, nothing says home and family to me more than the recipe that I am sharing with you today.
A bowl of this sausage & potato soup reminds me so much of my grandma. Classic. No fancy ingredients. No difficult techniques. Just solid, simple food that always hits the spot!
In fact, this recipe is simplicity personified! There are just 3 components:
- Veggies - Classic onion, potatoes and carrots chopped and boiled to soften them. Quick tip: waxy red potatoes are a sturdy choice as they hold up well after they are boiled.
- Sausage - I use naturally hardwood smoked Eckrich Turkey Skinless Smoked Sausage Rope with the perfect blend of spices for a slow-simmered taste in minutes.
- A creamy base that starts with butter and ends with 6 - 6! - cups of milk
Step by step
- Start with a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add chopped veggies to the pot and add water until they are just covered. Bring to a boil and cook about 15 minutes or until tender.
- While the veggies are boiling melt the butter in the microwave in a large bowl.
- Add flour and stir until creamy.
- Whisk in bouillon, then milk one cup at a time, stirring well to blend.
- Add milk mixture to vegetables, then sausage and stir to mix.
- Simmer 15 minutes until soup is creamy and thick. Enjoy!
You literally cannot stir this soup without bumping into tender chunks of potato, carrot coins and slices of savory sausage in the cozy, cream base. If this doesn't throw you back to my Midwest grandma's kitchen (complete with rooster wall paper), I'm not sure what will.
Storage and reheating
Store this soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat over medium heat on the stovetop, stirring often until heated through.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
With a rich cream broth brimming with potatoes, carrots and savory sausage, my Grandma's Creamy Sausage & Potato Soup is simple, cozy comfort food!
- 1 package Eckrich Smoked Sausage, cut into ½ inch coins
- 4 - 5 cups potatoes, cut into bite sized cubes
- ¾ cup carrot, peeled and cut into coins (about 1 large carrot)
- ½ cup sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp instant chicken bouillon granules
- 6 cups milk
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a large soup pot. Add water until the vegetables are just covered. I used about 3 cups of water. Put the pot on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Bring the veggies to a boil and cook them until they are fork tender (a fork should go in easily when inserted) or about 15 minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chopped vegetables. Do NOT drain the vegetables.
- While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. I use a 10 cup capacity glass measuring bowl.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter until they are combined and a smooth paste forms.
- Add the instant chicken bouillon granules and whisk until it is combined.
- Whisk in the milk 1 cup at a time until all 6 cups are added.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture into the soup pot over the vegetables.
- Add the sliced Eckrich Smoked Sausage to the soup.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring the soup frequently, for about 15-20 minutes to allow the soup to thicken. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: creamy sausage potato soup