- 1 package Eckrich Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2 inch coins
- 4 - 5 cups potatoes, cut into bite sized cubes
- 3/4 cup carrot, peeled and cut into coins (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 cup sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp instant chicken bouillon granules
- 6 cups milk
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a large soup pot. Add water until the vegetables are just covered. I used about 3 cups of water. Put the pot on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Bring the veggies to a boil and cook them until they are fork tender (a fork should go in easily when inserted) or about 15 minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chopped vegetables. Do NOT drain the vegetables.
- While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. I use a 10 cup capacity glass measuring bowl.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter until they are combined and a smooth paste forms.
- Add the instant chicken bouillon granules and whisk until it is combined.
- Whisk in the milk 1 cup at a time until all 6 cups are added.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture into the soup pot over the vegetables.
- Add the sliced Eckrich Smoked Sausage to the soup.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring the soup frequently, for about 15-20 minutes to allow the soup to thicken. Serve and enjoy!