There is some sort of magic that happens when soft, buttery dough is rolled out on a kitchen counter. When floured cookies cutters release pretty little shapes that are placed on baking sheets. When those sweet shapes bake to the very palest of brown and cool on wire racks. And there is something amazing that takes place when those magical cookies are topped with a classic, vanilla frosting that melts in your mouth. Let's be kitchen magicians today and make the BEST old fashioned sugar cookies with easy vanilla frosting, shall we?!
Since I used mini cookie cutters, these old fashioned sugar cookies are two bites of soft buttery heaven. And somehow, they are even better the second day. Isn't that always the case? So, if you are ready to make magic AND have the will power to wait until day two, here is your new favorite recipe!
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups sifted flour
Easy Vanilla Frosting
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk (I used 2%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 ½ inch mini cookie cutters
- Seasonal sugars (sprinkles, jimmies, etc.)
- Gel food coloring
For the cookie dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl and hand mixer), cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Add vanilla, salt and sifted flour.
- Form dough into a ball and chill 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before rolling.
To cut out the cookies
- Flour surface and rolling pin.
- Divide the dough into halves and turn one half of the dough onto your floured surface.
- Place remaining half of dough back in refrigerator.
- Roll dough out until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Flour cookie cutters and cut out cookies.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheets (I use baking stones) and bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes or until just barely colored.
- Allow cookies to cool on wire racks.
For the Frosting
- Stir melted butter, milk, vanilla, lemon juice and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- If desired, divide frosting into small bowls and add gel food coloring until desired colors are reached.
- Frost cookies and add sprinkles, sugars or jimmies.
Recipe for Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies & Easy Vanilla Frosting found at shakentogetherlife.com
Seriously, this frosting sets up so pretty but doesn't get crunchy or grainy. I think it is the melted butter that makes it just oh-so-smooth and delicious. And the smidge of lemon juice takes the super sugary edge off. I told you, magic.
I put these to the test this past weekend. My cousin Libbe, her husband Josh and their trio of spunky kiddos came to visit from Ohio. So our house was full of sweet cheeked toddlers, a rough and tumble three year old, tons of noise, pizza, laughter, playing in puddles and a plate full of crumbs. Because these babies didn't make it fifteen minutes after dinner.
These old fashioned sugar cookies are quintessential holiday cookies! They are perfect for gift giving, absolutely delightful for get-togethers, wonderful for cookie decorating parties or just with a mug of hot chocolate and a good movie!
More holiday cookies you may enjoy ...
Quick Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Vanilla Nutmeg Cake Mix Cookies with Eggnog Glaze
Chocolate Peppermint Krispie Treats
This post may be shared at these awesome link parties: