Pig Pickin Cake is a Southern tradition! This fruity, fluffy dessert is a staple at pig roasts and barbecues all summer long.
For the cake:
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained with 1/2 cup of juice reserved
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 16 ounce Cool Whip whipped topping
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained thoroughly
- 4 ounce box Instant vanilla pudding mix
- extra mandarin oranges for garnish is desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray three 9 by 13 inch baking pans.
- Mix together cake mix, butter, eggs, juice from oranges, and vanilla in a stand mixer or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides as needed.
- Fold in oranges.
- Pour batter equally in the three prepared pans.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely on a wire rack, then transfer to refrigerator until ready to frost.
- Once cakes are cold, stir together whipped cream, crushed pineapple, and pudding mix until blended.
- Spread one third of the frosting on first layer of cake. Top with the second layer and repeat an additional layer of frosting. Add last layer of cake and top with the remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with additional slices of mandarin oranges if desired.
Cake should be chilled before frosting.
Keep Cool Whip refrigerated before mixing frosting, you want it as cold as possible.
Tastes best if made a day ahead.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 20.7 g
- Sodium: 212.7 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 74.7 mg
Keywords: pig pickin cake