Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes are easy to make and taste better than anything from a box. These light & fluffy cupcakes are topped with a decadent buttercream icing and sprinkles, of course!
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, whites and yolks divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sprinkles (jimmies)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–4 tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside
- Add butter, sugar, oil and vanilla to large mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. (there will be a visible color change turning lighter to indicate it is done.)
- Add yolks and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and mix until combined Add remaining flour mixture and milk and mix until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not overmix.
- In another bowl whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites and sprinkles into the batter, stirring gently until uniform.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting, mix butter on medium speed and add powdered sugar a little at a time, mixing until smooth. Add vanilla and salt and mix. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, up to 4 tablespoons, until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
Keywords: funfetti cupcakes