- One white cake mix + ingredients to prepare it
- One 3 oz. box of Berry Blue Jell-o
- One 3 oz. box of Cherry Jell-o
- One 8 oz. tub of whipped topping (thawed)
- Red & blue food coloring (optional)
- Patriotic sprinkles or jimmies (optional)
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and allow cake to cool completely.
- Using a straw or the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the surface of the cake.
- Prepare each box of Jell-o using 1 cup of boiling water + 1/2 cup of cold water. (This is 1/2 cup less cold water than what is called for on package instructions.)
- Carefully pour or spoon the blue Jell-o over a portion of the cake. Take care to get the liquid into the holes.
- Carefully pour or spoon the red Jell-o over the rest of cake. Take care to get the liquid into the holes.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 3-4 hours or overnight - this allows the Jell-o to set up within the cake.
- Top the cake with the whipped topping.
- Just prior to serving, use a toothpick dipped in food coloring to add swirls of red and blue in the whipped topping.
- Add patriotic sprinkles or jimmies.
- Cut and serve!
- Refrigerate any leftover cake.
Keywords: Patriotic poke cake