Lasagna Roll Ups are your favorite comfort food made easy, with lasagna noodles filled with sausage meat sauce and ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses!
- 12 lasagna noodles (not oven ready)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 15 ounce ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and soak in cold water until ready to use.
- In a large, deep pan or Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium high heat, breaking apart as you cook it. Drain if necessary and return to the pan.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano and cook an additional minute.
- Add marinara and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and half of mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the marinara mixture onto the bottom of a 9 by 9 inch casserole dish.Spread to coat the bottom.
- Prepare an assembly area. Lay out a lasagna noodle and spread 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over the top. Top with a generous spoonful of the meat sauce. Roll carefully and place seam side down in the casserole dish.
- After assembling all roll ups, pour the remaining meat sauce over the top and top with remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Cover with foil, ensuring the foil isn't touching the cheese-if dish is shallow either prop up foil with toothpicks or spray the underside with nonstick spray to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 40 minutes. remove foil and broil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley for serving if desired.
- If you only have oven-ready noodles boil for only 3-4 minutes before rinsing and soaking in cold water.
- Rinse and then soak the pasta in cold water after draining to prevent sticking.
- Assemble the rolls on a rimmed baking sheet or large cutting board to contain any mess.
- Prop foil up with toothpicks or spray the underside with nonstick spray to prevent the cheese sticking to it.
Keywords: lasagna roll ups