Italian Sausage Stuffing is a classic Thanksgiving recipe but it is so delicious you'll be craving it year round! Bread cubes bake up with Italian sausage, onion, celery, bell pepper, and a perfect combinations of herbs to make this tasty recipe.
- 24 ounces of stale bakery bread, torn into 1" cubes OR (2) 12 ounce bags of store-bought stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, pitted and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place stuffing/bread cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onion, celery, and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat and add all vegetables to the bowl of stuffing.
- Return pan to heat and add sausage. Brown the sausage over medium heat, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Add cooked sausage and any drippings to the bowl of stuffing.
- In a separate bowl combine broth, egg, herbs, and spices. Mix to blend.
- Pour broth mixture over the stuffing and stir to mix, making sure all bread cubes are moistened. You may add extra broth if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for 70 minutes or until top is golden brown and crispy.
Keywords: sausage stuffing