Get ready for the best homemade Caesar salad you've ever made! Enjoy the classic flavor of romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, homemade croutons, and a creamy homemade Caesar dressing.
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup real mayonnaise (we use Duke's)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste OR 2-3 anchovy fillets, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the croutons:
- 1 loaf french, sourdough bread or other white bread of your choice (about 5 cups torn into pieces)
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup freshly grated or shredded parmesan cheese
Prepare the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tear bread into pieces and put in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until bread is lightly coated.
- Spread the bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 6-10 minutes or until edges of the bread begin to brown - watch carefully as baking time will be highly dependent on how thick your bread pieces are torn.
- Set aside to cool before adding to salad.
Prepare the dressing:
- Whisk together all ingredients. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a mason jar, close tightly and shake vigorously to mix.
To assemble the salad:
- In a large bowl add lettuce and toss with enough dressing to lightly coat all lettuce.
- Add parmesan and cooled croutons and toss again.
- Serve immediately.
- croutons can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for up to one week
- dressing can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to one week
Keywords: caesar salad