Classic Porcupine Meatballs – beef & rice meatballs – are baked in a savory tomato sauce until they are fork tender and flavorful! This comfort food dish is one of our family favorites!
For the Porcupine Meatballs
- 1 – 1 1/3 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup instant rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the Sauce
- One 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, rice, water and seasonings.
- Form mixture into 12 meatballs and place in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the meatballs.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake meatballs for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake up to an additional 15 minutes until meatballs are tender and cooked through.
- Serve over additional rice, mashed potatoes or in a toasted bun.
You can double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 baking dish as well.
Keywords: porcupine meatballs, beef and rice meatballs