Give Thanksgiving leftovers new life when you sandwich them between sourdough bread and lots of melty cheese in these Thanksgiving Leftovers Grilled Cheese Sandwiches … and don’t forget the cranberry sauce!
With Thanksgiving just a few weeks away, I thought I would share a really delicious (and super easy!) way to use those Thanksgiving leftovers! And come on … who doesn’t love a stuffed, ooey gooey grilled cheese sandwich?!
Thanksgiving Leftovers Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
So … you can’t have leftovers without first starting with the turkey. I use my father-in-law’s Classic Roasted Turkey Breast recipe. It comes out perfectly tender and flavorful every time.
Then, you need the leftover stuffing. We use boxed stuffing mix. No judging. Make what you like, right?!
You’ve also got to use a great melting cheese. I like havarti, muenster, swiss, mozzarella or even non-smoked provolone. Cheddar, American or even processed cheese slices will work in a pinch, but I find that the white cheeses get a little ooey goo-ier which is exactly how I want a toasty grilled cheese sandwiches.
The final touch is the bread. Use sturdy sourdough or hearty wheat bread for these Thanksgiving Leftovers Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. I used thick slabs of turkey and a decent layer of stuffing, so the bread needs to be able to hold everything without tearing or flopping during the flip 🙂
Like any ol’ grilled cheese, butter the outer sides of the bread slices, layer those delicious Thanksgiving leftovers between several slices of cheese and toast the sandwich in a skillet until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melty!
You can serve these sandwiches with leftover turkey gravy or leftover homemade cranberry sauce. (Stay tuned for an uncoming post for my FAVORITE recipe for homemade cranberry sauce.) Then, dip, baby, dip!
Thanksgiving leftovers get new life when added to a melty grilled cheese sandwich! These Thanksgiving Leftovers Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are the most delicious way to use those Thanksgiving leftovers!
- 4 slices sourdough or wheat bread
- sliced leftover turkey
- leftover prepared stuffing
- 8 slices muenster, havarti, mozzarella or non-smoked provolone cheese
- softened butter
- Butter the outside of two slices of bread.
- Place one piece of buttered bread butter side down in a large skillet.
- Add two slices of cheese, leftover sliced turkey, leftover prepared stuffing and two additional slices of cheese. (You may need to press the stuffing together in a compact layer so it does not crumble out of the sandwich.)
- Top the leftovers with the second piece of buttered bread, butter side up.
- Repeat for second sandwich and turn stove burner to medium heat.
- When the first side of the sandwich is golden brown and toasted, carefully flip the sandwich and cook until the second side is golden brown and all cheese is melted.
- Serve with warm leftover turkey gravy or leftover cranberry sauce for dipping.
Don’t forget to pin this to your Thanksgiving, sandwiches, easy dinners or Thanksgiving Leftovers Pinterest board!