These pumpkin spice muffins have just the right mixture of pumpkin, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. They bake up soft and tender but they are freezer friendly for easy breakfasts!
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar + additional to sprinkle
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray the bottoms of a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, mix egg, milk, oil, pumpkin and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the same bowl and mix the dry ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full.
- Just before baking, sprinkle the top of each muffin with about 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You can add 1/2 cup of any of the following with the dry ingredients: nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, cinnamon chips or white chocolate chips.
To freeze: Cool the muffins and then wrap each muffin securely in a square of plastic wrap. Place the wrapped muffins in a freezer bag and pop them in the freezer. You can thaw the muffins at room temperature or pop the unwrapped frozen muffin in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.