Do you ever have those times when you think, “Dinner again? Didn’t we just eat last night?!” There are some evenings when I want to declare it Cereal Night or Cheese & Crackers Night or even Ice Cream Sundae Night and call it good. But with two active boys with baseball practice almost every night of the week and a hubby who frowns upon cereal with marshmallows for dinner (come on!), a hot dinner it is for us! And it just so happens that one week, despite my stellar grocery list making skills, I bought all of the ingredients for sausage & pepper subs except the sub rolls. Enter an easy twist on a family favorite: sausage & peppers quesadillas!!
A bag of soft flour tortillas to the rescue! The crunchy tortilla was a nice change and a side of marinara sauce was absolutely in order. Who doesn’t love to dip? As it turns out, we found these sausage & peppers quesadillas even more delicious than their traditional sub counterpart! Don’t you love it when that happens?!
Just take a look at that quesadilla stuffed with savory sausage, melted cheese and sauteed vegetables …
Quesadillas are such an easy dinner idea and you can definitely fill them with more than the standard Mexican ingredients. We have made them with shredded BBQ pork and cheddar cheese, our favorite pizza toppings and even sloppy joe meat and provolone cheese. These sausage & pepper quesadillas could easily be wrapped in foil and toted to the ball field or packed up for a non-traditional picnic!
Do you have any fantastic suggestions for a twist on classic quesadillas?!
Need a few more easy weeknight meals for your family?Print
We took classic Italian sausage & peppers and shredded cheese and sandwiched them between two soft flour tortillas for an easy twist on a family fave-Sausage and Pepper Quesadillas!!
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 package (4-5 links of your favorite Italian sausage (pork, chicken or turkey))
- 1 each (sliced into strips: sweet onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper)
- 1 and 1/3 cup shredded cheese of your choice (mozzarella, 4 cheese, 6 cheese Italian blend)
- Marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook the Italian sausage links according to the package directions, remove from skillet and slice sausage into rounds.
- In the same skillet, add a touch of olive oil or butter and saute the onions and peppers until they are softened but not mushy.
- In a large non-stick skillet, place one tortilla and add slices of sausage and strips of onions and peppers on half of the tortilla.
- Cover sausage and veggies with 1/3 cup of shredded cheese and fold the tortilla over the filling.
- Allow the cheese to melt and the quesadilla to brown.
- Carefully flip the quesadilla over and allow the other side to brown.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters and serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
Original recipe found at shakentogetherlife.com
Keywords: sausage and pepper quesadilla