Like most moms, I struggle with packing lunches for our boys to take to school that aren’t boring. I love those fun Bento type lunches but since my boys are a little older, they request a pretty standard lunch: sandwich or wrap, a bag of something crunchy (pretzels, crackers, etc.), fruit/yogurt/cheese stick and a juice box. But thanks to this fun back to school lunch idea, you don’t have to pack a boring lunch anymore! Replace those blah peanut butter and jelly sandwich with PB & J Push Pops!!
I bought a set of push pops ages ago with the well meaning intention of making an incredible layered dessert to go inside, but they sat unopened for months in my baking cabinet. Until now!! What kid wouldn’t love an interactive sandwich?! With just a small push of the push pop stick, a mini crust-free sandwich round pops up!Print
- Your favorite sandwich (Try peanut butter & jelly, peanut butter & Nutella or even a fluffernutter)
- Push Pops – I got my set at Target for right around $10
- Make your sandwich and press it together well.
- Using the push pop container, gently press it down onto the sandwich like a cookie cutter.
- Gently press the sandwich round down into the push pop and continue cutting.
- I was able to get 4 rounds out of each sandwich with very little waste! (It was basically just the crust … and who wants crust anyhow?)
- Wipe around the edge of the push pop and place the cap on tightly.
This recipe for PB & J Push pops is found at www.shakentogetherlife.com.
PB & J push pops are easy to make ahead and don’t require refrigeration. Add them to your menu as the main course at your back to school party. Or pack them for a picnic or a field trip. They would be perfect to throw in your beach bag for a ocean front lunch or as a fun surprise to make your little one’s day!
Need a little more lunch time inspiration?
Here are a few of my favorite back to school lunch ideas that are sure to liven up your lunch box!