Keep Labor Day grilling easy and flavorful with this creative recipe for Grilled Teriyaki Meatball Skewers created in a compensated partnership with Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine. #KickinitwithKikkoman #Collective Bias
We are just days away from a glorious long holiday weekend! The pool is clean, new floats have been inflated and the grill is calling! I honestly cannot wait to enjoy our last baseball-free weekend for the next few months, soak up some vitamin D with a cold drink in hand and put something delicious on the grill. This weekend, we’ll be adding these awesome sweet and savory skewers to the menu and I can’t wait!
Grilled Teriyaki Meatball Skewers
This super simple grilling recipe for Grilled Teriyaki Meatball Skewers is perfect for a long holiday weekend for a couple of reasons.
- It only has 5 ingredients: your favorite meatballs, pineapple, onions, peppers and Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce.
- The prep work can be done the day before, so this delicious grilled meal can be enjoyed in minutes.
- Individual skewers can be made to accommodate personal tastes. (Add extra pineapple and peppers for me!)
- Food on a stick is always more fun!
While I was buying a few more pool towels and sunscreen, I picked up all 5 ingredients for these skewers at my local Walmart – don’t forget to snag a coupon for .55 off one or $1 of two Kikkoman® sauces before you go!
So that each ingredient on the skewer makes contact with the grill and to allow for uniform cooking, cut the peppers, onions and fresh pineapple into pieces that are about the same width as the meatballs. Once you cook the meatballs, the skewers can be prepped the night before. Now that is easy entertaining!
Place skewers on a preheated grill and turn occasionally. With each turn, brush on Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce. That keeps the meatballs soft and tender, allows the pineapple soaks in the flavor and the vegetables to soften and caramelize.
Kikkoman® sauces aren’t just for Asian recipes anymore! Case in point: meatball skewers 😉 We use Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce in burgers, on roasted veggies and for all sorts of grilled proteins. Kikkoman’s® Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce has that great “umami” taste that helps balance and round out flavors, so we use it in salad dressings, mustard garlic sauce for roasted asparagus and even add a dash to two to flavor soups. Find more awesome grilling inspiration and even dessert recipes here!
Now, once the skewers are grilled to perfection and the veggies are tender but not too soft, brush once more with the teriyaki sauce and move to a serving platter. Serve with additional sauce for dipping.
Are those meatballs, pineapple and veggies grilled to perfection or what?!
- 30 cooked meatballs (I baked my favorite brand of frozen meatballs.)
- 24 one inch square pieces of green and orange bell peppers
- 12 one inch square pieces of onion
- 12 one inch chunks of fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce (and additional sauce to serve with the grilled skewers)
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Build each skewer and alternate between 5 meatballs, 4 peppers, 2 onions and 2 chunks of fresh pineapple.
- Place skewers on grill and brush with Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce.
- Turn frequently and continue brushing with sauce.
- Once the veggies have softened and the meatballs are heated through (this took about 6-8 minutes on my grill), remove skewers from grill and place on serving platter.
- Serve with additional Kikkoman® Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce for dipping.
Once the meatballs are baked, the skewers can be assembled and refrigerated for about a day prior to grilling.
My metal reusable skewers are 12 inches long. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water before building the skewers (to prevent burning) and adjust the amount of ingredients added based on the length of the skewers.
How are you planning to get your grill on this Labor Day weekend? Pin this to your favorite Pinterest grilling board for an easy reminder to add these Grilled Teriyaki Meatball Skewers to your menu plan!