This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% mine alone. #CollectiveBias Thanks for supporting Shaken Together!
Ladies and gentlemen, #StartYourGrill! That’s right, the days of Summer grilling have started! It is a pretty sure bet that if you walk outside our neighborhood any evening around dinner time, you can smell the delicious scent of charcoal grills and sizzling dinners! Our weekly grocery list revolves around what is on sale and what we can grill: Sausages, chicken, portabella mushrooms and burgers, veggies and even fruit! If it fits on the grill, we will grill it! And since I love you so, I am going to share one of our family’s favorite grilling recipes!
Tangy BBQ Onions
The humble onion has never tasted SO good! This grilling recipe is simple. SO simple. It really only requires 2 ingredients + foil. You can make them in the oven or right on the grill. However you decide to make them, just do it. And make a double recipe!
But can you just promise me one thing?
These BBQ onions deserve only the best: a really delicious sausage and a good sturdy bun! We have recently become obsessed with Hillshire Farm’s American Craft Sausage – the Smoky Bourbon flavor to be exact. Just this weekend, I snagged some clearance blog props at Target, a package of these sausages (in the chilled food aisle) and a bag of fresh baked brat buns from the bakery.
And we commenced to grill!
Hand crafted, no MSG, no nitrates, no nitrites. Just the best cuts of 100% pork. Oh, and Smoky Bourbon! Only the best – we pinky promised, right?! And these were the best grilled vehicle for these mouth-watering, tangy BBQ onions!Print
- 4 medium sweet onions (sliced into rings)
- 3/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (My favorite is a 50:50 combination of a tangy Carolina BBQ sauce and a standard smoky sauce.)
- Layer a few sheets of aluminum foil – you are going to cook the onions in a foil packet and this will help with clean up later!
- If you are cooking these in the oven, line your baking dish with the foil.
- If you are cooking these on the grill, you can place your packet right on the grate or in a shallow grilling basket.
- Add the fresh cut onion rings to the foil and slather on the BBQ sauce.
- Fold the foil around and over the onions to form a tight packet.
- Place in a 375* oven or on your grill.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your onion slices and/or the heat of your grill.
- In the oven, my onions took about 30 minutes.
We might have even had a mini, pop-up picnic on our back porch! We piled the saucy, tangy BBQ onions on piping hot grilled Smoky Bourbon sausages in a lightly grilled bun, grabbed a napkin and kicked back for the quietest meal we have had in a while. We were all too busy chewing 😉
We might have even had to break up a good-natured argument about who got the last, onion topped sausage! They’re that good, ya’ll!
Pssst! You use Cartwheel at Target, right? Well, from 6/22/14 – 7/5/14, there is a special Cartwheel offer – click quick so you don’t miss it!
Round out your favorite grilling recipes and Summer meals with:
- A pan of lemon roasted vegetables popped in the oven while you are grilling!
- Followed by these easy no-bake Shortbread Sparklers!
- Or if peach shortcake is more your style, I totally get it!
- Finally, fill your mason jars with Fruity Slushy Blender Punch and sip away!
This post may be shared at these link parties: