But they are just a little funky (not to mention, courtesy of Mother Nature!) and there was just something about them that made me want to craft. And craft, I did. Come join me!
Supplies: sweet gum balls (if you don't have a tree nearby, stick around, you might just find a sweet way to get some in your future!), bamboo skewers, craft/hot glue, styrofoam or something to hold your flowers standing up in, spray paint
These could not be simpler (look, it's a numbered list! yay!):
1. Carefully gather sweet gum balls (with shoes on!).
2. Put them in a zipper-close bag and shake the heck out of 'em (there are little seeds inside that will fall all over)
3. I used The Saint's wire .cutters to snip the pointy end of the bamboo skewers off at various lengths.
4. Add a dab of glue into one of the holes on the sweet gum ball and insert skewer. Place 'flower' in styrofoam or a bucket full of sand or something so it can dry. Here are my sweet gums on a stick:
5. Spray paint your heart out and let dry. My makeshift spray painting station:
|The Saint would ask that you not look too closely at our lawn - he's doing yard work this weekend :)|
The best part? You never have to water these flowers, but you may want to dust occasionally. :)
This project was shared at all the blogs on my Link page!