I had a lovely thought of sending a little care package with all of their favorite things: beef jerky, candy, a new DS game, candy, a note from Awesome and candy. But, I didn't. Then I had a lovelier thought that I would perhaps rearrange their room and buy a few new things (beanbag chairs! new bedspread! bookshelf!) because what 7 and 10 year old Bugs wouldn't love a bedroom makeover, right?! And I did.
So, in order to make room for the above mentioned new stuff and be able to unveil the bright, shiny, new homes to bookshelves with bright green crates and funky saucer chairs (beanbags only available in pink and purple), it required some cleaning. Or rather, some CLEANING. I thought I was ready. I mean, hi, I've cleaned before and do so quite regularly. But who-wee (sp?)! I thought I have Bugs, but I must have misclassified them. I have Pack Rats!
The Bigger Bug's room was not so bad. Random papers from school and sticky notes, a few "prizes" from the treasure box at school (Allow me to translate: prizes= McDonald's toys, a valentine's trinket, a mini Hawaii snow glitter globe, a magic 8 ball, you know
Now, the Little Bug's room is a different story. Mainly because he is 7 and still plays with toys sometimes. I'm sure when he is 10 like the Bigger Bug, he will disdain all things molded or plastic or cheap in favor of shiny, expensive electronics. But for now, he still has toys. LOTS of toys. So, while relocating his bed to the other wall (crazy makeover, I know!) we were suddenly met with a mound of ...well, stuff. To include:
- Transformer carcasses (R.I.P. Bumblebee)
- String cheese wrappers
- Cough drop wrappers
- Bandaid wrappers
- Empty water bottle
- Various Ben 10 body parts
- Eraser-less pencils, dried out markers, broken crayons
- Fake rat from Halloween (phew!)
- Hotwheels and Cars cars and monster trucks and other various mini modes of transportation
- Stretchy frog (fake! and phew!) (Side note: much better than the dead real skink that we found in his room at one point. Likely chased under his Lego tub by Awesome and unable to escape, only to make himself VERY well known a few weeks later - YUCK! And yes, I do clean, but how often would you wipe down the underside of a massive bucket of Legos? Exactly.)
- Spiral bound notebooks not so spiral bound anymore - to be used with the writing implements above
- Legos and Legos and Kinex (sneaky - look like Legos, but not!)
- Six pairs of socks and a pair of shorts
This is our surprise? Oh, I thought it would be a new DS game.
Ahhh, I know you so well, my dear Bugs! Welcome almost home!